[OpenAFS] OpenAFS/Krb5/s390x/Linux 2.6

Matthew J. Smith matt.smith@uconn.edu
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:17:45 -0500

--=-6ZOLPVFBDIaJtk44mnOF

All-
  We are evaluating file service solutions for our population of ~8000
users, and are looking to pilot OpenAFS.  We have an  MIT Kerberos V
Realm, and are running Linux 2.6 (SLES 9) on an z890 (s390x).  We have
*no* prior experience with AFS, but are interested because it seems
(according to online docs) to scale better than other solutions.  We are
also evaluating Samba, but are not sure it will scale to our initial
8000 users, much less the future when we *may* add ~25,000 students.
  I have tried to install SuSE's 1.2.11 s390x RPM -- but bosserver
immediately segfaults.
  After pouring through the mailing lists and google, I have grabbed
1.3.80 sources, and successfully compiled them.  I am able to start up
the services (buserver, fileserver, vlserver, ptserver), but cannot get
the kernel module to compile.  Therefore, I cannot seem to do things
mentioned in the AFS docs, such as "fs checkvolumes"
  So, I have a few questions.  If this has been discussed on this list
previously, please simply point me to the relevant location or
documentation:

1)  Is there a doc that describes setting up OpenAFS 1.3, using an
existing Kerberos 5 realm, with no Kerb4 tickets, and no kaserver?  On
Windows, I will be using KFW (2.6.5) and OpenAFS (1.3.80).  Is it
possible?
2)  Is it possible to run an OpenAFS server on s390x?  Is anyone doing
it?
3)  Are there any updated 1.3 docs, or are the IBM docs on OpenAFS.org
still completely applicable?  Is there a one-page "printable" version?
4)  Is anyone running 1.3 (labeled as "unstable") in production?
5)  Is there any integration with a directory service (LDAP?) for group
management?
6)  Do I need the kernel module to run on my server, or can I perform
all administration functions remotely?

Any information you can offer is much appreciated.  Thank you in
advance,
-Matt

Matthew J. Smith
University of Connecticut ITS
This message sent at Tue Mar 29 11:54:10 2005
PGP Key: http://web.uconn.edu/dotmatt/matt.asc

--=-6ZOLPVFBDIaJtk44mnOF

--=-6ZOLPVFBDIaJtk44mnOF--