[OpenAFS] Monolithic kernel (linux > 2.6.8) without loadable modules support

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:17:38 -0500

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005 05:03:28 PM -0600 Nathan Neulinger
<nneul@umr.edu> wrote:

> One issue though would be the question of whether or not this would even
> be legal... The GPL/IPL incompatibility is resolved through the
> separation of the module. Does this problem get worse if you managed to
> link staticly with the kernel itself?

That's a good question.  I don't think having this feature would create
licensing problems for OpenAFS.  However, a kernel binary which had OpenAFS
compiled in would contain both GPL and GPL-incompatible code.  Such a
kernel could be used, but could not be distributed without violating the
terms of one or both licenses.

-- Jeff