[OpenAFS] Monolithic kernel (linux > 2.6.8) without loadable modules support

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:53:11 -0800

Libafs.ko could be placed in /boot/initrd which would load it a boot time.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Stephen Brown
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:30 AM
To: Nathan Neulinger
Cc: Jeffrey Hutzelman; xcondor@freemail.it; openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Monolithic kernel (linux > 2.6.8) without loadable
modules support

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> One issue though would be the question of whether or not this would
> even be legal... The GPL/IPL incompatibility is resolved through the
> separation of the module. Does this problem get worse if you managed
> to link staticly with the kernel itself?

My reading of the licenses is that you can do most anything you want for
your own use -- it only gets to be an issue if you want to release that
modification to the wild.  In an academic or corporate environment, the
definitions of "own use" and "release" or "redistribution" get fuzzy, so
consulting a real lawyer might not be a bad idea... IANL, YMMV, etc., etc.

Steve Brown
sbrown7@umbc.edu