[OpenAFS] OpenAFS-client Module Fails (Debian-Sarge)!!!

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 03 May 2005 13:55:21 -0700

Chaskiel M Grundman <cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Uh, no. The right package to install to get the files for a pre-built
> debian kernel is the corresponding kernel-headers package. It is not
> always the case that the kernel-source and kernel-patch-debian packages
> contain the exact kernel source that the kernel-image packages
> contain. Especially on non-i386 arches, the kernel-image package can
> contain additional patches.

I didn't think kernel-headers was enough to build OpenAFS.  Am I wrong on
that?  (I noticed a while back that the openafs-client documentation
doesn't really say a lot about this, and I can get that updated.)

> I would actually recommend the use of the module-assistant package for
> building modules fore pre-built kernels.

> aptitude install module-assistant
> module-assistant update
> module-assistant prepare
> module-assistant auto-install openafs

> should build and install an appropriate openafs-modules package for the
> running kernel.

Yeah, module-assistant rocks.  I should start using that myself; I just
discovered it a few days ago.