[OpenAFS] CellServDB info from DNS

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
Thu, 05 May 2005 09:32:47 -0700

Hi, All,
   First... a big thank you to the folks who have worked
diligently on the windows client. :-)
   With the windows client, I noticed that there is a new
"feature" where the CellServDB information can be retrieved
from the DNS by using AFSDB records. This is *very* useful
thing in terms of client configuration. I was dreading
having to decommission an old afs db server, but once
I upgrade the windows clients to the new version, it should
be much easier, smoother, etc.
   Is there any chance this feature will find its way into
the linux client, if it isn't there already. (If it is,
can someone tell me how to take advantage of it?) It would
be nice to only have to set up the ThisCell file, and
maintain the list of afs db servers through the local
DNS.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polek
Pictage, Inc.