[OpenAFS] vos replication being strange.

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 6 May 2005 22:35:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Eric Bennett wrote:

> You're right, /vicepa on corvus went boom, I have no idea how or why, but
> it's definitely gone, it was a loopback file from a local filesystem and when
> the system was rebooted the original file disappeared entirely.

A Loopback-file? I hope, you are just testing AFS...
If you want to "fake" a partition you can use an empty file named
"AlwaysAttach" in the /vicepX-directory. It will be used as a partition
even if its not a true  partition.

> Is it possible to copy the volumes from raven or do they need to be
> remade in their entirety? I've tried vos copy root.afs raven /vicepa
> root.afs corvus /vicepa -verbose but it just says the volume already
> exists, so I then tried a syncvldb thinking that perhaps the vldb
> needed to know there was a problem but it reported successful and
> still lists corvus' old volumes in listvldb.

> Anyone have any ideas?

There are a lot of commands, which manipulate the vl-db (just do a vos
help).

My favourite command would be "vos convertrototw" (or like that).

If your version does not have this command, try "vos dump" and "vos
restore" to dump your volumes into a file and restore them as
rw-volumes.

Good luck

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemmnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204