[OpenAFS] inherent reasons why other distributed filesystems don't have unified-mount/dynroot?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Fri, 06 May 2005 22:47:51 -0400

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 21:40 -0500, Michael Norwick wrote:
> >I'm toying with the idea of an AFS-to-{SMB,NFS,AppleShare,FTP,SFS}
> >translator as part of my project to implement an extremely minimal afs
> >client/fileserver in Java.  The idea is to make it easier to
> >experiment with AFS hacks by trading off performance.
> >
> You may want to try searching the archives at nfsv4@linux-nfs.org to
> avoid duplication of effort.

Speaking of duplication of effort, Arla implements AFS entirely in
userspace and even has an ftp-client-like operation mode that can be
used without any kernel modifications.

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu