[OpenAFS] new infrastructure-afs home and backup questions

Derek Harkness dharknes@umd.umich.edu
Sun, 15 May 2005 10:56:00 -0400

Here's the solution I've put in place.  Background medium size =20
university 12k+ users.

I have three Linux AFS servers connected to XRaids for 1TB of disk =20
space available for user home directories.  The servers are =20
replicated every four hours, backup volumes are generated nightly and =20=

mounted inside the user's home directory, and all data is backed up =20
to tape every two days.  AFS was put in place to replace our aging =20
Novell system and to unify our Windows desktop environment and our =20
Unix backend.  So I've setup Samba servers to act as a gateway for =20
AFS directories.  Most user account data is stored in LDAP, kerberos =20
is used for unix logins, and samba passwords are currently in LDAP =20
(There's a strange magic piece that allows the Samba server to issue =20
AFS tokens so my users have a krb5 password and a SMB password).  I'm =20=

hoping Samba 4 will allow me to use kerberos for desktop logins.  =20
This setup has been in place and working since December.

The samba environment provides domain management and control and file =20=

and print sharing to Windows clients.  Unix and Mac clients run the =20
AFS client and use CUPS.  Samba has allowed us to really unify the =20
environment from the users point of view while at the same =20
simplifying our backend environment by eliminating our need for =20
Novell, NFS, and Windows servers.

I currently use a slightly hacked Veritas Netbackup for tape =20
backups.  It has some problems, like not backing up ACLs, but at =20
least it gets the file data.  My ACLs structure is very simple and =20
very easy to recreate if a restore is needed.

Derek