[OpenAFS] Upgrading/Migrating to new OpenAFS and host OS versions

Steve Gaarder gaarder1@math.cornell.edu
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:07:48 -0500 (EST)

I have a server running OpenAFS 1.2.13 on Red Hat Enterprise 3, using
Kerberos 5 for athentication (the AFS server is not one of the KDCs).  I
want to upgrade to OpenAFS 1.4.0 and RH Enterprise 4.  It seems to me that
the sanest approach may well be to do a fresh install of the OS (on
another partition), install 1.4.0 on it, and then copy all the necessary
site-specific stuff over to the new OS.  Questions:

- is this indeed the best way to go?

- what files/directories do I need to copy to the new installation?

- any gotchas I should know about?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA