[OpenAFS] memory leak on file server process using 1.4.0 binaries

Terry McCoy terry@nd.edu
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:06:47 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the tip, I'' try turning off the AFS cache on the file server
having the problem, although I don't hold much hope out that this will
solve it as we don't use the AFS client all that much on the AFS file
server other than to grap a configuration file or binaries.

I also sent in a bug report in regards to this memory leak issue for the
1.4.1-rc1 version.

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Renata Maria Dart wrote:

> Hi, we have been seeing evidence of a memory leak with the 1.4.0
> client on solaris 10 sparc systems that heavily exercise the AFS
> cache.  I have a ticket open with SineNomine for this issue.  We also
> have the 1.4.0 server running, but only in test mode, so we haven't
> put a whole lot of AFS stress on it to tell if the server is a
> problem.  If there is any question over just what is the cause of the
> leak, and if you are running and exercising the client on your server,
> perhaps that is really the problem....you could try running without it
> and see if the server does any better.
>
> -Renata
>
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Buhrmaster, Gary wrote:
>
> >SLAC has also seen this (the exact amount of memory
> >"lost" will vary of course).  See the list archive
> >https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2005-November/020136.html
> >I guess it is useful to know that this is also seen
> >on Solaris 8 (we were going to test on Solaris 8/9,
> >but I do not believe we had yet done that).  It
> >is my understanding that this issue is being
> >actively worked on by an OpenAFS expert.  One
> >of my collegues that is actively involved may
> >be able to provide further information.
> >
> >Gary