[OpenAFS] Open AFS version issues with Fedora Core 3: "disagrees about version of symbol struct_module"

Leroy Tennison leroy_tennison@prodigy.net
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:19:18 -0600

I found Open AFS while lookinbg for a distributed file system for Linux
and it appears to be the best option available so I decided to try it.
Discovered I need a specific Fedora Core 3 kernel version so I downloade
and installed it.  I then proceded to install Open AFS.

On reboot I got the 'Module openafs not found.' message on startup so I
tried:

[root@linux-afs rc3.d]# ./S50openafs-client start
Starting openafs-client: FATAL: Module openafs not found.
failed to load openafs kernel module.                      [FAILED]

The installed kernel RPMs are:

[root@linux-afs rc3.d]# rpm -qa | grep ker
kernel-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3
kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.49_FC3

and the installed openafs RPMs are:

[root@linux-afs init.d]# rpm -qa | grep openafs
openafs-1.4.0-fc3.1
openafs-kernel-1.4.0-2.6.12_1.1380_FC3_1
openafs-client-1.4.0-fc3.1

Noticed that I was on kernel 1381 and the openafs module was in

/lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1380_FC3/kernel/fs/openafs

so I copied the openafs directory from ...1380_FC3.. to ...1381_FC3..
thinking that modprobe was simply looking in the wrong place.  Still
no success.  So I changed into the fs directory and tried insmod with
the following result:

[root@linux-afs fs]# insmod openafs/openafs.ko
openafs: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
insmod: error inserting 'openafs/openafs.ko': -1 Invalid module format

I have downloaded all of the updates to Fedora Core 3 from their Web
site, put them in one directory and did

for i in *.rpm; do rpm -F -h $i; echo Ready; read; done

to upgrade everything.

I got dependency issues (and circular dependencies in some cases)
on the following:

kde*	circular
pygtk2
system-config-printer	circular
krb5-libs	circular
xorg-x11	circular
netpbm	circular
Omni	circular
openssh	circular
libxml2	circular
hal
dbus	circular
gimp
httpd	circular
ImageMagic
glibc	circular

Looking at the above I made a guess that glibc and glibc-common
were important and the others weren't for openafs so I freshened
glibc and glibc-common using --nodeps and then verified both.
The only issue I found was that

[root@linux-afs openafs]# rpm -V glibc-2.3.6-0.fc3.1

Produces

........C   /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache

which unfortunately isn't documented, this persists through reboot.

Where do I go from here?  Any assistence would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.