[OpenAFS] Having some issues managing remotely.

Pucky Loucks ploucks@h2st.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:08:06 -0800

Hello all,

I've got a Development and a production cell and I'm having issues
with how I've configured it. (I'm sure I've missed something)

here is how they are both setup.

each network has 3 subnets
external (live on internet)
internal (a private ip range)
management (another private ip range)

The internal network is only for boxes to talk to each other, it is
not possible to route traffic into this subnet.
The management network is the network we use to connect to all our
server and well... manage the network. ;)

Web clients talk to my linux servers via the external network, those
servers have afs clients on them which talk to the afsdb servers and
afsfileservers via the internal network.

The AFS DB server and Fileserver are only on the internal and
management networks, and everything works perfectly if you have
access to both those networks.

My issue is that I have an OSX desktop that has access to both my
development management and production management networks, and when I
try to vos examine (just an example of one of the areas I'm having
issues with) I get the following:

*******************command line snip*****************
vos examine test.test3 -cell mydevcell.h2st.net -verbose
Fetching VLDB entry for 536870926 .. done
Getting volume listing from the server 10.0.0.121 .. Could not fetch
the information about volume 536870926 from the server
Possible communication failure
done
Error in vos examine command.
Possible communication failure

Dump only information from VLDB

test.test3
     RWrite: 536870926
     number of sites -> 1
        server 10.0.0.121 partition /vicepb RW Site

the ip 10.0.0.121 is on the internal network...which I can't route
to.  Have I screwed something up? or is this what you would expect
with the way I've deployed my afs cells with the internal and
management?

Thanks,

Pucky Loucks