[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Server - Windows XP Pro

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:09:35 +0100

On Nov 27, 2005, at 8:09 PM, Sherman Wilcox wrote:

> First question is whether or not OpenAFS Server is stable when
> running on Windows XP Pro. That is, is OpenAFS server for Windows
> ready for prime time? I ask because I can't seem to get it
> configured properly using the 'Server Configuration Wizard'.
> Everything seems to install OK but the wizard crashes very
> consistently when I run it.

The OpenAFS Server for Windows is not stable at all.
Jeffrey Altman pointed frequently out on this list, that it's just a
bonus.

It's actually not really maintained.
In some builds the server is working...

> If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

You can use it as an experiment, but please don't do it for
production servers.
I use the fileserver on Windows 2000, but it's a version prior to the
1.4.0 release.

I have regularly problems with the volserver and the salvager
(crashing), but it's just for fun and for using some of the disk
space for AFS on my Windows box.

Horst