[OpenAFS] AFS on Ubuntu 5.04: anyone?

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:55:25 +0200

* Sensei [2005-10-11 16:22:56 +0200]:
> Is anyone using openafs on ubuntu 5.04?

Not me, but I have a user who is running 5.10 on his laptop. Installing
the OpenAFS client was as easy as enabling the "universe" repository in
/etc/apt/sources.list, installing module-assistant and openafs-client
(and heimdal-clients for good measure), then running "m-a prepare" and
"m-a build openafs". Install the resulting .deb with "dpkg -i".

You should be able to do something similar in 5.04. Take the
openafs-modules-source package from Russ Allbery's repository
(the URL is in the archives for this list), so you'll get a recent
1.4.0 release candidate. It's nice if you upgrade the userspace
packages too; you may need to recompile them with the right library
version dependencies. Does pbuilder work in Ubuntu as it does in Debian?

>                                         I'm trying to compile the
> module (debian-like package), but it fails on make-kpkg modules_image
> with this error:
>
> configure: error: no available sys_call_table access method
>
> And this reminds me that the current packages are openafs-1.2.13...

Yes. 1.2.13 won't play well with Linux 2.6, for many reasons.