[OpenAFS] Openafs 1.4.0-rc7 Success on Redhat Enterprise 4 EM64T

Karl E. Kelley kekelley@iastate.edu
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:05:11 -0500

>>>Derek Atkins  said:
  > Could you try the rc5 candidate RPMs from
  > http://www.openafs.org/dl/candidate and let me know if they work for
  > you?  (You might just need to grab the SRPM and rebuild).
  >
  > Thanks,
  >
  > -derek

I didn't want to try 1.4.0-rc5 on a system already running 1.4.0-rc7,
But I did try the 1.4.0-rc5 rpms on a system running 1.3.85, which is the
version I have already made available to our user community, of which there
are over 100 systems deployed already with it.  It did not install particularly
well on top of the 1.3.85 system built with the umich spec file, which I kind
of guessed would happen, mostly because the names of the script files changed
from afs to openafs-client, and the uninstall logic of the 1.3.85 did not
do a chkconfig --del because the name of the rpm package was the same, but
the chkconfig files were different.   This made it impossible to shutdown
the system cleanly for a reboot, though if I had thought about it, I would have
shutdown afs before, and avoided the problem.

This wouldn't be too bad, and could have been handled by stopping afs and
doing chkconfig --del afs before installing the 1.4.0-rc5 rpms.  However,
given I already have over 100 systems installed with 1.3.85, and they are
installed via up2date from our proxy server, and would cause quite a bit
of disruption.  There would also probably be some disruption due to having
separate rpms for each kernel version as well, this doesn't cause a problem
manually installing the rpms, but it is likely to cause at least many warnings
from up2date, which will want to install the latest rpm, and if the system
doesn't have the latest kernel installed, up2date will complain.

Other things about the 1.4.0-rc5 rpms:

  - The openafs-client rc script doesn't provide the cache and afsd
    configuration that the rc script that has been supplied with openafs
    previously, and only provides 2 configuration parameters, AFSD_ARGS and
    BOSSERVER_ARGS in /etc/sysconfig/openafs, not all the various parameter
    settings for routines in /etc/init.d/afs, which I found very convenient
    for providing a simple way to configure afsd.   I hope these are put
    back in before 1.4.x goes GA.  If they don't, I will have to put them
    back in myself and rebuild the rpms.

  - I noticed that these rpms install the aklog from the afs-krb5 package,
    and not the aklog from the openafs source, the two are about equivalent
    in function, so its not a really big deal.

  - The README in the openafs-kernel-source is quite out of date as far
    as telling how to install a rebuilt openafs kernel module, which is
    obviouly different now the the openafs kernel modules are actually
    being installed in /lib/modules, instead of in /usr/vice/etc/modload.

  - to reiterate, the multiple openafs-kernel modules will cause a problem
    with up2date, and I realize why that was done, but the only way I can
    see is to put only the lowest kernel versions on the proxy server
    and force everyone to recompile their own openafs kernel module for newer
    kernels, which isn't as good as it works now.

Other than the above, openafs 1.4.0-rc5 seems to be working on:

kekelley@motley.ait% uname -a
Linux motley.ait.iastate.edu 2.6.9-22.EL #1 Mon Sep 19 18:20:28 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

kekelley@motley.ait% rxdebug motley.ait.iastate.edu 7001 -version
Trying 129.186.145.100 (port 7001):
AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.4.0-rc5 built  2005-10-21

 - Karl

--
Karl E. Kelley                     <kekelley@iastate.edu>
Systems Programmer