[OpenAFS] pam and OpenAFS

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:30:13 -0400

That's not a problem; that's how it's supposed to work.

Think about it this way. Say you have a cell with, oh, 40,000 active
users (like us), and your desktop machine is an AFS client. How do you
control which of those 40,000 people can login to your machine?  You
only put in /etc/passwd those people you want to be able to login.

[You old timers who've heard this propup bit before can stop reading. Bye.]

However, sometimes you set up a machine that you want anybody in your
cell to be able to login to. In that case, you can update your
/etc/passwd whenever you add people to your cell. Or you can make a
variant of http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl/propup.tar.gz. Propup is a little
pam module that reads a list of valid ids from a file in AFS and if
necessary updates your /etc/passwd file with a new entry if the user
trying to login is not already there and he should be. Feel free to
modify it to get its data from wherever you like. This was a
quick-n-dirty excuse to play with pam, and although it works, it's still
dirty. :)

Cheers,
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /        Those who jump off a Paris bridge are in Seine.       /