[OpenAFS] Transitioning from IBM Transarc to OpenAFS Help

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:36:30 CST

> Greetings OpenAFS Community,
>
> We are *finally* going to transition our production AFS cells from IBM
> Transarc to the OpenAFS code base. I have lots of questions ...

We chose to do the rolling upgrade.
We were pretty much forced to switch all our AFS-DB servers
to OpenAFS when the 1.2.10/11 time bug happened.  Since then
we have been adding new commodity file-servers with OpenAFS
and rotating out the old IBM/SUN and Transarc/DEC file servers.

This is actually been pretty painless (since that first panic-stricken
night).  We bring in a new server and we move our (technical) group's
volumes there first and then if all seems good we start moving others
to the new server.  The users never know anything has happened.

If you feel nervous, I'd setup a small test cell and practice,
but I think big danger lurks in #2 (do you know all the places
that your cellname or /afs/yourcellname is buried?)

The hardest part is getting the clients updated (since they largely
aren't under our direct management we have to beg, cajole, and wheedle :)

John