[OpenAFS] OpenAFS in a production environment

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:40:47 -0500

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
>>
>> Frankly, I hate the included backup system.  However, there are a
>> number of good alternatives available, depending on your environment.
>
> Which "good alternatives" exist?

We use TSM.  Works for us and supports file-level backups.  However, the
TSM client with AFS support only runs on AIX and then only from 4.3.3 or
5.1.  And TSM clients newer than the 5.1 version seem to have dropped
AFS support.  There are also some issues with ACLs not always being
restored correctly, but I'd personally rather just have the data safe
and fix ACLs on my own.

I consider it a "good alternative," but then I have a machine running
AIX and someone else running the TSM server.

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin