[OpenAFS] OpenAFS in a production environment

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:58:35 -0400

On 9/3/05, Derek Atkins <warlord@mit.edu> wrote:
> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
>=20
> > Frankly, I hate the included backup system.  However, there are a numbe=
r of
> > good alternatives available, depending on your environment.
>=20
> Which "good alternatives" exist?

Due to the nature of the work being done, the Pittsburgh
Supercomputing Center has a huge file archiver system with two tape
silos.  Once run by a Cray, it is now a mix of a small pile of Linux
boxes with an SGI [which runs the migration-to-tape software].

One of the Linux boxes has the AFS key on it, and "vos". A simple
shell script dumps the volumes from the cell onto the disks of the
archiver system, which then automagically archives the dump files to
tape.

While I realize not everyone has giant tape silos, petabytes of
storage, and fancy shmancy file migration software, I would think an
arrangement like this would work with any system that has a jukebox
and some basic backup software on it.

And then there's an AFS-aware Amanda, too.