[OpenAFS] Amanda-afs

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:53:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Lars Schimmer wrote:

> Is there any guide available for amanda-afs?

There's the INSTALL file and the README file.  They're not particularly
great but they cover the basics.  To quote one of the gatekeepers in
the thread that preceeded this one:

"Yeah.  I just wish we could ship something that didn't suck so much."

> Right now I found the mailinglist for it, found a source where to grab
> the source, but no guide or howto or info til yet. Even on amanda
> homepage there is only one sentence about it.
> What does it do? How does it do it?

It's an add-on package for the amanda system, which you can find at
www.amanda.org.  The idea is to add some AFS-awareness to amanda and
improve on the original AFS backup system.

> If I want to backup my data from my cell, is amanda-afs powerfull enough?

yes.

> E.G. with a 30 GB volume (yes that one is existent), I know I can backup
> it on filebase, no problem, even with incremental backup. But on
> filebase backup it doesn?t preserve all the ACL and all that.
> If I backup that volume on volume base (vos dump e.g.), it creates 30 gb
> every time the backup runs. Is amanda-afs capable of just store the
> difference between two days?

yes.

> Maybe via a vos backup every day?

essentially, it performs a "vos dump -time" in order to capture incremental
differences.

> Any hints, guides, FAQs are welcome.

Yes.  In fact if someone wanted to write a better guide to use I'd be
more than happy to include it in the base package

-Mitch