[OpenAFS] Disk cache on root filesystem / unclean shutdown

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:53:22 +0200

On Sep 15, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Stefaan wrote:

>> I don't think there is any connection between these events.  Well, at
>> least I don't think afs can be blamed for frying your libs.
>>

> I'm asking mainly because I'm packaging this for gentoo, and putting a
> disk cache on /var/cache/openafs is the default.  Wouldn't want to fry
> other people's rootfs en mass :)
>

>>> Running openafs-latest, I think was 1.3.86 when I started seeing the
>>> problems (date was 1st of august).  Rootfs is ext3, kernel is
>>> linux-2.6.13-gentoo.
>>>

>> You ran a fs check?
>>

> I did after I started loosing my libraries.  I've read that you
> shouldn't run fsck on a /vicepx, but I guess this was only for the
> namei-fileserver (right?, as opposed to the inode-one where I suppose
> you can run fsck) and also not for the cache?  Is there any up-to-date
> documentation on this?

You shouldn't run fsck on _some_ platforms on an inode fileserver
partition.
I assume you don't have one of those since it's a lot of pain if
possible at all to actually be able to run an inode fileserver on
Linux (I don't know anybody doing that on Linux), it's not related to
your problem.

AFS has nothing to do with your vanished libs. I'm pretty sure of that.

The other remarkable thing I saw was:
Your cache is on an ext3 filesystem, which is not supposed to be that
way, and can cause trouble.

Horst