[OpenAFS] LDAP authentication

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:44:02 -0400

At 10:06 PM 9/23/2005, Derek Atkins wrote:
>LDAP is *NOT* an authentication service.  If you think it is, then you are
>just confused.

And this is my single biggest gripe with the industry.  Many off-the-shelf
ID management and portal solutions from "big" vendors (Sun/Novell) are
using LDAP with SSL for authentication and hiding encrypted passwords in
secret stores for all the auxiliary services.  It's as if most enterprise
IT shops and their vendors just gave up on the holy grail of total
integration and are opting for simple solutions that will get them by.  I
don't think they  understand the difference between authentication and
authorization.  Oh well, anything to sell a product right?

Rodney