[OpenAFS] convertROtoRW

Juha Jäykkä juolja@utu.fi
Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:21:19 +0300

--Sig_sa/THH7qmJZ.bYHHiSIanOJ

We're doing some disaster recovery tests on OpenAFS. The next test waiting
to be done is recovery from a lost RW volume with living RO's still
around.

I understand this is easiest done with convertROtoRW - simply tell the DB
that one of the RO's is now RW. Fine. What I'm wondering is, what happens
if the old RW magically reappears from beyond the grave? Obviously we need
to reconcile the situation of twin RW's. How?

We're testing these things on a live, production (well, sort of: it's in
still piloting phase) cell, so we do not want to screw the DB or anything.
The volume in question with is only accessible to admins (and contains two
0-byte files for testing purposes), so losing *that* volume is not a
concern. We're also doing this on a live cell on purpose: to see that AFS
really lives up to our expectations.

-Juha

--=20
                | Juha J=C3=A4ykk=C3=A4, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| Laboratory of Theoretical Physics		|
		| Department of Physics, University of Turku	|
                | home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/              |