[OpenAFS] Unable to build user-space RPMs from source RPM (RHEL3, 1.40)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:06:41 -0400

Quoting Drew Leske <dleske@uvic.ca>:

>>>  Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at
>>>  /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/General.pm line 498, <GEN0> line 259.
>>
>> Um, the error is right here in front of your face.  Can't exec aclocal.
>> Perhaps you don't have aclocal installed?
>
> I guess I don't know enough about autoconf and automake.  I thought this was
> part of autoconf ('ac'local)--and I have autoconf installed.

Nope.  aclocal is part of automake.  Don't ask me why..

> Also, I saw somebody else with the same error, and the advice to them was to
> use "--target=i686".  Which worked for the kernel modules.

Correct, the "--target=i686" tells rpmbuild to only build kernel modules
by default.

> After installing automake and ncurses-devel as well, the following worked
> for me:

ncurses-devel too?   Hmm, okay.  I've added that as a build-req.

>  # rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 \
>    --define "build_modules 1" --define "build_userspace 1" \
>    specs/openafs.spec
>
> to build everything in one step.  The userspace stuff is now i686, but I
> don't see why that would be a concern.

Note that there is an "openafs-buildall" script in SOURCES which will
build EVERYTHING for you in one fell swoop.  It's the script I use
to build the base packages and then all the various kernel modules.
This script is certainly much more important on a 2.6-based system
because you need to rpmbuild separately for each kernel build, not just
each kernel version.

"rpm -qi openafs" for much more information.

> Thanks for your help,
> Drew.

-derek