[OpenAFS] Re: AFS clients for OSX/Darwin

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:56:40 -0700

Ben Poliakoff <benp@reed.edu> writes:
>     - it seems to handle IP address changes (and transitions from
>       wired to wireless ethernet) more gracefully than OpenAFS

If you rely on AFSDB it's even worse.  There's a bug in there where
afsd can (fairly easily) be incorrectly convinced that no AFSDB entry
exists for a cell and that it should never again try to look for one.
This seems to happen to me on about 5% of all reconnects (which works
out to about twice a week).

I tried to debug it, but my logging code kept crashing the kernel
and/or locking up the filesystem layer (even local fs calls hang).
Since I only have access to one Mac -- which I rely on for nearly all
my computing -- I can't afford to play with fire like this.  Maybe
over the summer though.

  - a