[OpenAFS] disaster recovery, help needed.

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:37:57 +0200

Hi,

On Monday 24 April 2006 03:42, ph rhole oper wrote:

> It was a db server too, but there is one more left online.I think that
> if i install a new OS,
> mount /vicepa , and start afs services, ubik will synchronize and the
> new OS's afs will just bring the /vicepa volumes up.Right?

At first you should make a backup of your administrativ databases of your last
running server (kaserver.DB*, prdb.DB*, vldb.DB* (,bdb.DB* - if you have it))

Then you can install a new OS on your broken machine. But _do not start_
AFS-Servers

Copy some files manually from your last server left to your reinstalled
server, which are:

/usr/afs/db/*
/usr/afs/etc/*
/usr/afs/local/BosConfig

(/usr/afs might be at a different location)

Then you can start the afs-processes on your reinstalled server.

Then you can use "udebug <server> <portnumber>" to watch the databases
synchronize. Ports are in range 7002-7004.

Good Luck

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204