[OpenAFS] Re: Server down, other server ready to serve its data: vos delentry question

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:21:49 -0400

On 8/1/06, Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:
> [ Thanks Esther ]
>
> Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that the
> old server (downserver) cannot be brought up in order
> to syncvldb against the empty /vicep mount points.
>
> Let's also assume that OpenAFS is not being used, but
> IBM AFS is being used.  I know this is the openafs-info
> list and all, but I'm sure many of you have legacy
> experience with IBM/Transarc AFS.  That is, 'vos changeloc'
> is not available.

My condolences :/

> My concern is the wording of the 'vos delentry' instructions:
>
>      "A specified volume can be any of 3 types (RW, RO, or
>       backup), but the ENTIRE ENTRY is removed no matter
>       what type is provided."
>
> Does that mean if I 'vos delentry -server downserver' and,
> while processing the VLDB for things to delete, it will
> delete ALL replica site information for a RO that was on
> downserver?

I'm not sure.  But assuming it IS, it's not a problem. Simply sort out
which volumes were RO, and instead of doing "vos delentry" on them do
"vos remsite".

e.