[OpenAFS] Re: Server down, other server ready to serve its data: vos delentry question

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:48:42 -0400

On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 05:21:49 PM -0400 Esther Filderman
<mizmoose@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/1/06, Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:
>> [ Thanks Esther ]
>>
>> Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that the
>> old server (downserver) cannot be brought up in order
>> to syncvldb against the empty /vicep mount points.
>>
>> Let's also assume that OpenAFS is not being used, but
>> IBM AFS is being used.  I know this is the openafs-info
>> list and all, but I'm sure many of you have legacy
>> experience with IBM/Transarc AFS.  That is, 'vos changeloc'
>> is not available.

It is if you get yourself a new enough version of 'vos'.

> My condolences :/
>
>> My concern is the wording of the 'vos delentry' instructions:
>>
>>      "A specified volume can be any of 3 types (RW, RO, or
>>       backup), but the ENTIRE ENTRY is removed no matter
>>       what type is provided."
>>
>> Does that mean if I 'vos delentry -server downserver' and,
>> while processing the VLDB for things to delete, it will
>> delete ALL replica site information for a RO that was on
>> downserver?
>>
> I'm not sure.  But assuming it IS, it's not a problem. Simply sort out
> which volumes were RO, and instead of doing "vos delentry" on them do
> "vos remsite".

Yes; 'vos delentry' removes an entire VLDB entry.  You can use remsite to
remove an RO site, but not a RW site.  On the other hand, changeloc can
only be used to change the recorded location of the RW site.

So...
- Use 'vos remsite' to remove any RO sites on the old server.
- Use 'vos changeloc' to change the recorded locations of any RW volumes.
- Finally, use 'vos syncvldb' against the partitions on the new server to
  record the locations of any RO sites.