[OpenAFS] MacOSX 10.4.7 & OpenAFS 1.4.1 large files broken?

Joseph H Vilas jhv@oit.duke.edu
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:17:36 -0400

I've repeatedly had problems transferring large volumes and files to
an OpenAFS 1.4.1 fileserver we have that's currently running MacOS.  I
don't administer the machine itself, and I've had the devil's own time
isolating a number of separate, unrelated issues, but I know I can't
copy volumes over 2 Gb from this machine:

    poe.acpub.duke.edu[1] uname -a
    SunOS poe.acpub.duke.edu 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc
        SUNW,Ultra-250
    poe.acpub.duke.edu[2] /usr/sbin/rxdebug localhost -version
    Trying 127.0.0.1 (port 7000):
    AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.2.13 built  2004-11-07

to this one (the aforementioned Mac):

     ipod-server:/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/etc jhv$ uname -a
     Darwin ipod-server.oit.duke.edu 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version
7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
          20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
          Macintosh powerpc
     ipod-server:/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/etc jhv$ ./rxdebug localhost -version
     Trying 127.0.0.1 (port 7000):
     AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.4.1 built  2006-04-11
     ipod-server:/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/etc jhv$ system_profiler -detailLevel -2
     Hardware:

     Hardware Overview:

      Machine Model: Xserve G5
      CPU Type: PowerPC G5  (3.0)
      Number Of CPUs: 2
      CPU Speed: 2 GHz
      L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
      Memory: 1 GB
      Bus Speed: 1 GHz
      Boot ROM Version: 5.1.7f1
      Serial Number: QP4300FPPNK

     Software:

     System Software Overview:

      System Version: Mac OS X Server 10.3.9 (7W98)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0
      Boot Volume: Server HD
      Computer Name: ipod-server
      User Name: Joe Vilas (jhv)

Oops -- I thought it was a 10.4 machine.  Like I said, I don't
administer it.  :)  So maybe it's not the same problem.  Or maybe the
install was done on another machine or backed out?  I think
dds@duke.edu has opened a couple tickets at openafs-bugs about it  One
can write to files in the volume and make it larger than 2 Gb, and one
can move the volume off the Mac, but not back on.  The person who
opened the bug is out of town, but I'll copy her on this anyway.

Joe V.