[OpenAFS] Restoring ownership information of filesystem structure on /vicep*

Matthias Gerstner Matthias.Gerstner@student.fh-nuernberg.de
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:12:43 +0200

--------------enig48E3930D93B661A99989FFF2

> Actually, the only information recorded in the owner and group is the
> data version, and that copy is noncritical except to allow the salvager=

> to recover from a corrupted vnode index, which it doesn't do very well
> anyway. The authoritative copy of this information lives in the vnode
> index, so it should be fairly simple to write a tool which walks the
> vnode indexes for each volume and repairs the owner and group on the
> underlying files.

After restoring the whole original operating system along with the AFS
data I was finally able to access all but one of my old volumes so I
could at least easily get my data back.

So it's not all impossible to get it working again when ownership
information is gone.

Matthias