[OpenAFS] Migration from Transarc to OpenAFS

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:39:12 -0400

On Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:53:14 AM -0700 Roel Flora <rflora@ucsc.edu>
wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has done a migration from Transarc to OpenAFS
> recently and can provide some suggestions on how to do the migration
> smoothly. We have a large number of existing users and around 1 Terabyte
> of data to move. I expect that there will be some downtime that is
> necessary while we are doing the migration, but we would like to minimize
> the downtime  if possible.

You should not need more than a few minutes of downtime, to allow your
database servers to be upgraded.  Even that can mostly be avoided, if you
are careful enough and if you're not upgrading from something too old.

> So far, we have installed and setup OpenAFS servers using
> the same cellname as the old Transarc servers but they are independent
> of each other (using different ip addresses and not talking to each
> other).

Don't do that.  Forget about the "new" cell, and instead set up new servers
in the existing cell.  Then you just move volumes to them, and your users
notice no downtime.  One of AFS's most important features is that even
major upgrades like this can be done without user-visible downtime; take
advantage of that.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer