[OpenAFS] Migration from Transarc to OpenAFS

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:54:14 -0400

On Aug 3, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Roel Flora wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has done a migration from Transarc to
> OpenAFS
> recently and can provide some suggestions on how to do the
> migration smoothly.
> We have a large number of existing users and around 1 Terabyte of data
> to move. I expect that there will be some downtime that is
> necessary while
> we are doing the migration, but we would like to minimize the downtime
> if possible.

The only issues I'm aware of are:

1. if you are switching to "namei" fileservers, you'll need to dump
and reload all your volumes.  (You would have to build OpenAFS from
source to do this; the Solaris build defaults to "inode", which is
compatible.)

2. Unless built with --enable-transarc-paths (IIRC), the client and
server configuration file locations have changed.  Very roughly (i.e.
don't bet your cell on this without checking docs), /usr/afs is /usr/
local/etc/openafs/server and /usr/vice/etc is /usr/local/etc/afs.

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery@kf8nh.com