AFS backup with adsmpipe ; WAS: [OpenAFS] Code to demo NFS/UDP weakness?

Mathias Feiler feiler@uni-hohenheim.de
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:13:29 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Harald Barth wrote:

|> |1. vos dump | bugfixed-adsmpipe jada-jada-jada
|>
|> What do You mean with "bugfixed-adsmpipe" ?
|> Did I miss something?
|
|The adsmpipe source had not only a very strange license, it did not the
|right things with files > 2GB either (on AIX).
Oh yes, years ago we got 64-Bit support included over here too.
So the term "bugfixed" focuses on the historic basic origin adsmpipe
version, right?

|> It is quit intersting to me, sice I think over to add threading
|> to adsmpipe in order to speed it up a bit (Fold wait times on each other).
|
|I think we should sync what source we've got. And I think we should
|ask IBM for a better license.

Up to now I thourhgt adsmpipe is a kind of free use w/o waranty .

|The alternative is that you'd rewrite
|the code so that it does not need the old license. Unfortunately, I
|think writing ADSM code is an extremely boring exercise, so I try to
|minimize it as much as possible.

You're right. Lets see if we find a menial to do it ... ;-)

To join/merge the code would make sense in any case.
Asking IBM for change of a Lic could be a hard long way IMHO.
My colleague prommised to open a call with IBM in order to see
how IBM thinks on this. I'd be satisfied to see adsmpipe under the same lic
as openafs.

|Adsmpipe does not set the file
|permissions right either IMHO.

We never run into this since (nomen est omen) we just use it in conjunction
with pipes.

|Harald.

Sincerely Mathias Feiler

----
Fuer Rueckfragen  stehe ich gerne zur Verfuegung,  bevorzuge jedoch  tele-
fonische Kontaktaufnahme ( +49 711 459-3949 oder +49 179 6954907 ). Danke.

Hochachtungsvoll und mit freundlichen Gruessen   M.Feiler

----
Computer: Es gibt nur 10 Arten von Menschen -
solche die es begreifen und dann noch die andern.

Computer: There are only 10 kinds of people -
those who understand and those who don't.

PGP public key &  Homepage   :  http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/~feiler