[OpenAFS] Are there any known performance issues with large numbers of volumes per partition?

Renata Maria Dart renata@slac.stanford.edu
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, we are changing the configuration of the vice partitions on each
of our AFS fileservers from 8 60gb partitions to 2 240gb partitions
(as part of our transition to 1.4.1).  Do I need to be concerned about
any performance impact from increasing the number of volumes per
partition?  Certainly listvol takes longer the more volumes you have,
but are there any other issues to worry about because of this
increase?  Most of our 60gb partitions have 100-200 volumes and
OpenAFS seems to have handled the switch to 400-800 volumes per 240gb
partition with no problems.  But we have a few 60gb partitions that
contain ~4000 small "morgued" volumes which get very little use.
These morgued volumes will now be mixed with production volumes on a
240gb partition.  Or should I make an effort to continue to keep them
separate?

Thanks,

Renata