[OpenAFS] Are there any known performance issues with large numbers of volumes per partition?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:21:59 -0400

On Thursday, August 10, 2006 04:05:43 PM -0700 Renata Maria Dart
<renata@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi, we are changing the configuration of the vice partitions on each
> of our AFS fileservers from 8 60gb partitions to 2 240gb partitions
> (as part of our transition to 1.4.1).  Do I need to be concerned about
> any performance impact from increasing the number of volumes per
> partition?  Certainly listvol takes longer the more volumes you have,
> but are there any other issues to worry about because of this
> increase?  Most of our 60gb partitions have 100-200 volumes and
> OpenAFS seems to have handled the switch to 400-800 volumes per 240gb
> partition with no problems.  But we have a few 60gb partitions that
> contain ~4000 small "morgued" volumes which get very little use.
> These morgued volumes will now be mixed with production volumes on a
> 240gb partition.  Or should I make an effort to continue to keep them
> separate?

Our main "user" servers (non-replicated data) currently each have eight
200GB partitions.  Some of these have very few volumes; others have
thousands.  Currently the partition with the most volumes has about 3500.
We've never particularly worried about the number of volumes on a
partition, and we haven't had any performance issues.

-- Jeff