[OpenAFS] fsck ext3 /vicepa

Joseph Kulisics kulisics@chem.ucla.edu
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 05:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I've been combing the web trying to find the answer to one question: can
I run fsck on the partition that I've mounted as /vicpa?

  I'm running AFS on a Gentoo Linux Installation. I have an ext3
filesystem mounted as /vicepa, and this filesystem is dedicated to AFS
service.

  The postings that I've found online indicate that there is no problem
running fsck on partitions hosting AFS volumes if AFS uses the namei
server.

  However, the posts don't indicate if /sbin/fsck will work correctly on
AFS partitions on ext3 filesystems if you are running the inode server.

  I'm also not sure how you tell the difference when the system is
running. I installed AFS from Gentoo packages, so I'm not sure if the
namei server was enabled in the build configuration for the package. (I'm
still trying to figure out how to examine the configure choices made by
portage during package installation.) If I had to guess, I'd say from what
I've read that I must be using the inode server since there are only a few
files in /vicepa, and they are all the same size. There about a hundred
volumes with thousands of files, and the number of files in /vicepa
corresponds to the number of volumes rather than the number of files.

  Is there a way to tell the type of the server, inode or namei, from the
running system? Does anyone know if you can run fsck on ext3 filesystems
hosting AFS partitions served by the inode server? Is there any
documentation available about this? Thanks,

  Joseph Kulisics