[OpenAFS] fsck ext3 /vicepa

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:34:23 -0400

Hi,

Joseph Kulisics <kulisics@chem.ucla.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I've been combing the web trying to find the answer to one question: can
> I run fsck on the partition that I've mounted as /vicpa?
>
>   I'm running AFS on a Gentoo Linux Installation. I have an ext3
> filesystem mounted as /vicepa, and this filesystem is dedicated to AFS
> service.

Yes, of course you can.  The namei fileserver doesn't use data
that isn't available from userspace, so normal fsck works just
fine.

>   The postings that I've found online indicate that there is no problem
> running fsck on partitions hosting AFS volumes if AFS uses the namei
> server.

Correct.

>   However, the posts don't indicate if /sbin/fsck will work correctly on
> AFS partitions on ext3 filesystems if you are running the inode server.

You're not running the inode fileserver.  It just doesn't exist
for Linux at all.

>   I'm also not sure how you tell the difference when the system is
> running. I installed AFS from Gentoo packages, so I'm not sure if the
> namei server was enabled in the build configuration for the package. (I'm
> still trying to figure out how to examine the configure choices made by
> portage during package installation.) If I had to guess, I'd say from what
> I've read that I must be using the inode server since there are only a few
> files in /vicepa, and they are all the same size. There about a hundred
> volumes with thousands of files, and the number of files in /vicepa
> corresponds to the number of volumes rather than the number of files.

See above.

>   Is there a way to tell the type of the server, inode or namei, from the
> running system? Does anyone know if you can run fsck on ext3 filesystems
> hosting AFS partitions served by the inode server? Is there any
> documentation available about this? Thanks,

If it's Linux, it's namei.  In an inode server all you see are
the .vol files and nothing else.

-derek