[OpenAFS] Undelete support feedback request

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:40:19 -0500

On Thursday, December 07, 2006 02:23:07 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Jim Rees wrote:
>> Isn't undelete an application function?  I don't think it belongs in the
>> file system.  Are there any other file systems that implement it?
>
> Microsoft Windows as an operating system implements it.  The file is
> moved on disk to a system directory which indexes the names and
> handles the auto-reclaim when space is required.

That works well for local filesystems, and presumably for CIFS.
With AFS, Windows can't possibly guess where to put the undelete directory.

-- Jeff