[OpenAFS] Undelete support feedback request

Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:52:23 -0500

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Thursday, December 07, 2006 02:23:07 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
> <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim Rees wrote:
>>> Isn't undelete an application function?  I don't think it belongs in the
>>> file system.  Are there any other file systems that implement it?
>>
>> Microsoft Windows as an operating system implements it.  The file is
>> moved on disk to a system directory which indexes the names and
>> handles the auto-reclaim when space is required.
>
> That works well for local filesystems, and presumably for CIFS.
> With AFS, Windows can't possibly guess where to put the undelete directory.
>
> -- Jeff

Which is why it doesn't provide this functionality with the existing client.

In Vista, NTFS was extended to support multiple backup copies per file
within the file system.  So the APIs are there.  If we added this
functionality to AFS and implemented a native file system interface
then Windows could make use of it directly on Vista.

Jeffrey Altman