[OpenAFS] Re: Undelete support feedback request

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:48:53 -0500

On Thursday, December 07, 2006 05:38:07 PM -0500 Marcus Watts
<mdw@umich.edu> wrote:

> Sidney Cammeresi <sac@cheesecake.org> posted the VMS way.
>
> Not that I'm advocating this is the right way (let alone
> have code that implements this), but here's how the same
> things could look in Unix:
>
> $ ls -F
> foo.txt
> $ ls foo.txt/*
> foo.txt/1  foo.txt/2  foo.txt/3  foo.txt/4  foo.txt/5

That's not really tenable.  Some operating systems do have objects that
look like files from some angles and directories from others, but others
have VFS layers that don't really allow for this.  I very much doubt that
the linux dentry cache can handle an object which claims to be a file but
has children, and even if it did, you'd have an interesting time dealing
with files which have multiple links, since directories may not have
multiple aliases in the dentry cache.

Now, replace 'ls foo.txt/*' with 'fs listdeleted foo.txt', and you're fine.

> At least there's no upper-case this way.

There's nothing inherently upper-case about VMS.  It has a case-insensitive
filesystem, and defaults to listing filenames in upper case.  You'd see
lots of upper-case in your example, too, if the file were named FOO.TXT.

-- Jeff