[OpenAFS] OpenAFS API / Documentation?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:59:51 -0800

Kirk Patton <kpatton@transmeta.com> writes:

> I am working on a small C program that needs to klog on behalf of a
> user.  We are running Sun Grid Engine and AFS.  In order for a SGE job
> to access AFS space, SGE needs to be able to switch to the users ID and
> authenticate to AFS.

> I was wondering if there are any tutorials/howto's or references that
> could be of help.

Well, IMO, the *right* solution is to not use klog.  Instead, you should
create principals for the users for running Grid Engine jobs that have the
appropriate AFS permissions, create keytabs for them, and then obtain
Kerberos credentials and AFS tokens from the keytabs.  You can use:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/>

to do this and it's much simpler and easier to deal with than writing
AFS-specific authentication code (which will also then require either
fakeka or running a kaserver).