[OpenAFS] How to replicate files on different machines

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:54:46 +0100

shailesh_joshi@persistent.co.in wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using OpenAFS 1.4.2 on Fedora 5. I want to replicate file(s) on 2
> machines (both Fedora 5). How could this be achieved? Do I need to
> install OpenAFS server on both the machines, and if this is the
> requirement, how could the servers be synchronized?

Yes you need a fileserver on the second machine and you need to define
the replication side for each volume by using "vos addsite ...".
The synchronisation is acchieved by "vos release" for the volume.
This doesn't happen automatically, but you start some script via cron.

> Write now I'm facing one other issue. I have installed server on 1st
> machine and client on 2nd machine (both Fedora 5). I have given the
> cell information for the server on 2nd machine in
> /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB, CellServDB.dist and ThisCell.
>
> However, when I start the client, the cell under /afs/ is not
> displayed as a directory.
>
> # ls -l /afs/ total 0 ?--------- 0 root root 0 Jan  1  1970
> ps2750.pspl.co.in #
>
> Hence I could not do any further file operations. Am I missing
> something?

Did you start the afsd on the client with the option "-dynroot"?
Do you have a volume "root.cell" in your cell?
If both is true and your CellServDB and ThisCell information are correct
you should see your cell.

If you don't start afsd with "-dynroot" you need a volume "root.afs" and
inside it a mountpoint for your "root.cell" under the name of your cell.