[OpenAFS] Databases & AFS (revisited)

Davor Ocelic docelic@mail.inet.hr
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:14:32 +0100

Hello folks,

What is the current status of database files in AFS space?

We are considering the placement of users' MySQL and PgSQL
database files within their AFS volumes.

Essentially, it looks like AFS might have writing speed and locking
issues that would prevent that. Supposing we could live with
somewhat slower writes, could you provide us with more information
on locking and its impacts on mysql and pgsql in specific?

Looking at [1], it is not advised, but there are no explicit problems
mentioned either.

Looking at [2], which appears to be CMU's class assignment, the
students are supposed to create a Postgres database within their
AFS volumes, without a word of problems that might create.

[1]: http://www.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2006-June/022717.html
[2]: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~natassa/courses/15-415/current/assignments/readme_assign0.html

Thanks,
Davor Ocelic