[OpenAFS] Odd client behaviour

Sean O'Malley omalleys@msu.edu
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:41:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Steve Devine wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Steve Devine wrote:
> >
> >> We have had some odd behavior with some  x86 clients (linux)
> >> User will be unable to write, insert or delete in the root of their own
> >> personal afs space.  If they move up one directory they can write,
> >> insert  and delete ok.
> >> So user sparty for instance can not write in:
> >> /afs/msu/user/s/p/sparty
> >> But he can write in
> >> /afs/msu/user/s/p/sparty/web/
> >> This will not affect all users on the same box.
> >
> > What are the ACLs?
> > ______________________
> system:administrators rlidwka
> system:anyuser lk
> sparty rlidwka

I have noticed, that the unix file permissions will get in the way
especially, overwriting files. like cp -p /etc/shadow to /afs/somewhere
then repeat it.

I have had to change the unix permissions on the files even with a root
token to overwrite a file like from 444 to 544 with the 1.4.2 client
on Solaris 10.

It sounds more like flock support being pulled into the client code.
*shrugs*

It is a change from the older versions of the clients..

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University