[OpenAFS] Re: openafs does not put a [correct] value in fsinfo.f_type?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:36:30 -0800

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
> #1 - what is the process to get a "real" linux filesystem type number
> assigned?
> 	Ask the Linux Standards Committee.

(No such entity)

Actually I think you just make one up and advertise it widely.

> #2 - how can I reliably determine if a file is stored in AFS?
> 	pioctl

This won't work for code which must build without dependencies on AFS,
of which might be built on a non-AFS machine and executed on an
AFS-client machine (ie for rpm/deb packaging).

The question is "[on Linux], how can my code reliably determine if a
file is stored in AFS without introducing a build-time dependency on
AFS headers/libraries into my code".

That question has a reasonable answer for SMB, Coda, and NFS; I think
it would be unfortunate if it didn't have a reasonable answer for AFS.

> #3 - how can I tell which kind of locks are truely supported by the (afs)
> filesystem?
> 	today?  Or in the future?

Today (TransarcAFS + OpenAFS<=1.4.x).

I have faith that the people doing byte-locking will come up with an
elegant solution for querying locking capabilities in 1.5 and future
releases.  I'm mostly worried about what's already out there.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380