[OpenAFS] Re: openafs does not put a [correct] value in fsinfo.f_type?

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:50:18 -0500

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:
> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> From: Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: [OpenAFS] Re: openafs does not put a [correct] value in fsinfo.f_type?
> Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:59:01 -0800
>

> Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
> >> Yes.  So why is AFS reporting 0x0000 if that isn't "its magic"?
>
> > linux reports 0 for AFS because that is what it is programmed to do.
>
> (the implied question here is "why was it programmed that way?")

A lot of the people here are computer programmers.  Computer
programmers are much more likely to take your answer literally
than they are to guess what you meant to imply.  You don't
want to know what they'll do if they're asked to guess at what
you meant to imply.

> > This is on or around line 421 in file src/afs/LINUX/osi_vfsops.c
> >   statp->f_type = 0;          /* Can we get a real type sometime? */
>
> This is unfortunate.  On Linux (unlike MacOS and the BSDs), this field
> is the one and only reliable way to determine what type of filesystem
> a file sits on.

Right.  Here you're asking (at least) 3 questions:

#1 - what is the process to get a "real" linux filesystem type number
assigned?

	Ask the Linux Standards Committee.
	(These folks are probably unincorporated relatives
	of the French Academy, formed 1635 by Carinal Richelieu...)
	((or you could ask the linux kernel developers))

#2 - how can I reliably determine if a file is stored in AFS?
	pioctl

#3 - how can I tell which kind of locks are truely supported by the (afs)
filesystem?
	today?  Or in the future?

>   - a

					-Marcus Watts