[OpenAFS] Re: openafs does not put a [correct] value in fsinfo.f_type?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:59:01 -0800

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
>> Yes.  So why is AFS reporting 0x0000 if that isn't "its magic"?

> linux reports 0 for AFS because that is what it is programmed to do.

(the implied question here is "why was it programmed that way?")

> This is on or around line 421 in file src/afs/LINUX/osi_vfsops.c
>   statp->f_type = 0;          /* Can we get a real type sometime? */

This is unfortunate.  On Linux (unlike MacOS and the BSDs), this field
is the one and only reliable way to determine what type of filesystem
a file sits on.

  - a