[OpenAFS] Fileserver Problem - Could not get CPS for AnyUser

Kai Londenberg Kai.Londenberg@librics.de
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:31:35 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to get an OpenAFS Server running on a Linux Server, and I'm
stuck on a problem. Searching Google and various forums and mailing
List archives did not help, Retrying various times from scratch did
neither, so I hope someone over here can point me in the right
direction.

I am trying to installl OpenAFS Server V 1.4 on a 64 Bit x86  Gentoo
Linux Server. I'm using the packaged kaserver (no Kerberos V stuff
yet)

I'm following the instructions from this file:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~stefaan/prerelease/openafs-guide/guide.html

Server name is samson.wpintern.de, cell name is wpintern.de, and
the hostname and hosts files are properly configured.

Everything works fine up to a certain point following these
instructions. Once the fileserver gets started, I get those errors in
its logfile (FileLog)

"Couldn't get CPS for AnyUser, will try again in 30 seconds"

If I ignore that and just continue installing,  once I execute the
command=20

"vos create samson.wpintern.de /vicepa root.afs -cell wpintern.de
-noauth"

the command locks up for a while (I guess a timeout) and then produces
the following error:

"Could not fetch the list of partitions from the server
Possible communication failure
Possible communication failure"

I found some hints in an old archive from this mailing list, that this
problem might be related to a problem with the Keyfile, but I made
sure that the passwords entered for afs, admin and bos addkey are all
the same.

I retried the install a few times - in one of the first installs I
might have made some mistakes, but I cleared /etc/openafs
/etc/openafs/server and /usr/lib/openafs/db as well as
/usr/lib/openafs/sysid afterwards, and re-installed OpenAFS to make
sure I don't carry old problems around. I mention this, since I'm not
sure if these actions were sufficient to clear out any traces from the
old configurations.

/vicepa is a large separate partition (around 400GB) formatted using
ext3, and is correctly mounted.

Ok, now some detailed info about my setup and what I am doing:

Essentially I run the following commands.  The commands prefixed with
> stand for text input to the program. The ***** parts mean that I
entered a password. (Same password for admin, afs and bos addkey btw.)

-----------
bosserver -noauth &
bos create samson.wpintern.de kaserver simple
/usr/libexec/openafs/kaserver -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos create samson.wpintern.de buserver simple
/usr/libexec/openafs/buserver -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos create samson.wpintern.de ptserver simple
/usr/libexec/openafs/ptserver -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos create samson.wpintern.de vlserver simple
/usr/libexec/openafs/vlserver -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos status samson.wpintern.de -cell wpintern.de -noauth -long
kas -cell wpintern.de -noauth
>create afs
>*******
>examine afs
>create afs
>*******
>setfields admin -flags admin
>examine admin
>quit
bos adduser samson.wpintern.de admin -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos addkey samson.wpintern.de -kvno 0 -cell wpintern.de -noauth
>******
pts createuser -name admin -cell wpintern.de -noauth -id 1
pts adduser admin system:administrators -cell wpintern.de -noauth
pts membership admin -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos restart samson.wpintern.de -all -cell wpintern.de -noauth
bos create samson.wpintern.de fs fs /usr/libexec/openafs/fileserver
/usr/libexec/openafs/volserver /usr/libexec/openafs/salvager -cell
wpintern.de -noauth
bos status samson.wpintern.de -long -noauth
vos create samson.wpintern.de /vicepa root.afs -cell wpintern.de
-noauth
-----------

Up until the last command, the "bos status -long" commands will show
that everything runs fine. After that, It show that the volserver
failed once but is running normally:

--- output of "bos status samson.wpintern.de -long -noauth" after the
above actions:

Instance kaserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006
    Command 1 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/kaserver'

Instance buserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006
    Command 1 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/buserver'

Instance ptserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Feb  1 18:14:32 2006 (59 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb  1 18:14:32 2006
    Last error exit at Wed Feb  1 18:14:32 2006, by exiting with code
2
    Command 1 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/ptserver'

Instance vlserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb  1 17:05:32 2006
    Command 1 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/vlserver'

Instance fs, (type is fs) currently running normally.
    Auxiliary status is: file server running.
    Process last started at Wed Feb  1 18:11:39 2006 (22 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb  1 18:11:39 2006
    Last error exit at Wed Feb  1 18:11:39 2006, by vol, by exiting
with code 1
    Command 1 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/fileserver'
    Command 2 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/volserver'
    Command 3 is '/usr/libexec/openafs/salvager'
----

This is what I get from netstat -l (shows which kind of services are
running on the machine)

---
samson ~ # netstat -l
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:afs3-fileserver       *:*
udp        0      0 *:kerberos              *:*
udp        0      0 *:afs3-prserver         *:*
udp        0      0 *:afs3-vlserver         *:*
udp        0      0 *:afs3-kaserver         *:*
udp        0      0 *:afs3-bos              *:*
udp        0      0 *:7021                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:kerberos-iv           *:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     16694  /dev/log

---

Hope someone can help me, or point me in the right direction.

thank you in advance,

	Kai Londenberg

librics GmbH & Co. KG
G=F6ttinger Chaussee 115