[Bulk] Re: [OpenAFS] Evaluating AFS for in house use, RFCs...

Charles Duffy cduffy@spamcop.net
Sat, 04 Feb 2006 05:02:58 -0600

Leroy Tennison wrote:
> I'm not sure whether the RoadWarriors comment is a genuine question or
> a point being made with a question but I recently heard of an
> alternative to opening the firewall to Microsoft which some may find
> useful.  A variant of VNC called Ultra VNC allows file transfer - just
> a thought.
Well, yes -- but UltraVNC is win32-only, and the plugin API they use for
crypto is *very* win32-only (and designed by someone who obviously
didn't understand reentrance). Having a full VPN is considerably more
useful, in any event.

(We keep AFS, Kerberos, and such within our LAN despite their being safe
to expose if properly administered, and permit remote users to connect
with OpenVPN. It works for us quite well).