[OpenAFS] strange behavior on -rc6 / MacOS: works on first boot, not thereafter

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:58:56 +0100

--==========E6CF8D197BCEBED8DC53==========

-- Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> is rumored to have mumbled on 5.=20
Februar 2006 15:31:29 -0800 regarding [OpenAFS] strange behavior on -rc6 /=20
MacOS: works on first boot, not thereafter:

> Related question: is there a reason why OpenAFS installs into
> /Library/StartupItems instead of /System/Library/StartupItems?  It
> seems like most stuff goes in the latter, but I really don't
> understand the difference (or why /Library even exists on Mac OS X in
> the first place when /System/Library seems to have all the same
> stuff...)

Actually /System is reserved for stuff from Apple. Third-party apps that=20
install items in /System are evil. Cisco VPN unfortunately is one such=20
offender. /Library is for system-wide user-installed stuff. ~/Library is=20
for stuff specific to one account. This model is actually much more=20
straightforward than on other platforms.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK

--==========E6CF8D197BCEBED8DC53==========--